Crazy for dinosaurs!

One day I will blog throughout the week and share little snippets and ideas instead of giant photo filled posts...but today is not that day :) What a fun week we have had with our dinosaur unit! Here's some of the fun stuff we did...

We learned all about Triceratops and then wrote facts about him. I love how this guy is shaded just like my picture that I used for our circle map.


Stegosaurus patterning...for all my love of the new Common Core math standards, I REFUSE to leave patterning behind :) This cute idea came from Anna over at Kindergarten Khronicles



More making 10 activities.


This project was inspired by this post over at Mrs. Plant's Press. I forgot to snap a picture of the finished product but they turned out so cute and ended up being a great little math activity. It's hard to see from the picture but the kiddos started with 10 red dots and wrote the number sentence for yellow and red dots.Then they flipped one over at a time and wrote each consecutive number sentence on each plate until they had filled all 11 combinations. Then they wrote 10 on the stegosaurus's belly :) I found a class set of these ten frames and two sided counters in the copy room giveaway pile at school last week SCORE!


Another idea from Kindergarten Khronicles. We learned all about how dinosaurs come from eggs and made these cute little guys and wrote about the three stages of life from egg to little dinosaur to big dinosaur.


Some of our math centers (somehow I never got any pics of our literacy centers).




I had planned to bury pasta in sand today and let the kids dig it up and make a dinosaur skeleton but the sand was still wet and needed to be aired out (I bought playground sand in a bag from Walmart and they store it OUT in the RAIN! How does that make sense??) So we will technically be finishing up our dinosaur unit on Monday with that activity and this great idea I found over at Mrs. Lee's Kindergarten :)




OK if you have stayed with me this far....I have 2 more things...

1. Don't forget to enter my giveaway (click here for the post). It ends tomorrow night at Midnight!!

and 2. Here is one last dinosaur freebie. I used this during my formal evaluation this week and it went GREAT. This was the first time I actually had the kiddos fill in their own double bubble and I was so impressed with their thinking :)

Dinosaur Double Bubble

Have a great weekend and Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies :)

2 comments:

  1. I love all your dinosaur stuff! I really love the stegosaurus making 10 number sentences activity! I am getting ready to do my dinosaur unit. I think it is one of my favorites! :)
    ~Jen
    Jen's Kinder Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed on KPM doodles that you asked her to make short vowel pictures. You don't need to buy them. Go to Christina Bainbridges site. She already has them all made up for short and long and for each vowel. and they are FREE!
    http://bainbridgeclass.blogspot.com/search/label/short%20and%20long%20u
    copy and paste that link above and it should take you right to it.
    And if it doesn't go to her blog page at
    http://bainbridgeclass.blogspot.com/
    and search along the left side for the vowels you are looking for.
    Patty

    Second In Line

    P.S. if you'd like to get rid of that word verification after each post, go to my blog and it will tell you how to do that too.

    ReplyDelete